***Please note: this post was, I thought, lost to the techno-universe...but it turns out it was saved and eventually the video even made it on. Enjoy this posting, originally from April 13th or so...
The worst thing about loving your family as much as we do is the good-byes.
This was Joseph's first big goodbye, and like a Fletcher, he was stoic throughout. Like a Charbonneau, his mother was a blubbering mess.
Memere, my mom, was nice enough to be here for the first two weeks of my son's life. She helped me heal, sleep, and learn the basics of taking care of Joseph, she even watched him so that Owen and I could get some things done, and even go out to Chili's.
Two weeks used to seem like a long time to me. I mean, a lot happens in two weeks. Two weeks ago today I had just given birth, we had no plans of moving from our apartment, and I was eagerly anticipating my mother's arrival from California. Two weeks later, I can't imagine life without Joseph, my mom was here for his ride home from the hospital, his first doctor's visit, his first bath and his first evening without mom and dad...and we are planning on moving over to Owen's parent's house by the end of this month! Wow...don't blink.
I am really pissed to realize that I don't have any pictures of my mother holding my baby. What was I thinking? If anyone has any, please send them to me. I do have this video of Jef's first bath. My mother directed and I think she did a fabulous job. When I watched this today I cried because I realized that there was a time when I fit in a sink, too, and that there was a time like that for everyone. No mother thinks when their baby fits in a sink that there could ever be a country between them. Even if there happens to be, I think it says a lot about our family that five-hour flights and the whole of the midwest can sit between us and we are still as close or closer to each other than most families who live in the same states or even the same towns.
I guess what I'm saying is, of course we'll never be strangers, but I miss my family. Thank God for little moments like this.
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm all mush. This is beautiful. My heart is heavy with missing all that has happened since leaving Plainfield. Thank you for posting and picking up when I call. It's ok to cry and be sad because it show how special this all is. I'm so grateful for the time you let me be part of your inner family.
love from far away,
Memere
I'm so happy to see this video again and am glad that you found it... I'm grateful that your Mom was here right after Joseph was born... I would have made every effort to be and do what a mother could but nothing is like having your Mom around to help with the care of your newborn.
Post a Comment