I love being Joseph's mom.
Also, as a teacher, I love having such an enraptured and motivated student.
This is a game I play with Joseph a lot. I point to him or to myself and ask who I'm pointing to. I nod or shake my head really emphatically when I say "yes" or "no", and I smile or frown to try to get him to see what the whole head nodding versus head shaking thing means.
What's amazing to me is not only that he ADORES this particular game (I can start playing it and almost mid-scream he will be silent and watch me intently) but that he is already trying to mimic my head movements or predict what I will do next.
I love thinking of little things to teach him- because he's a blank slate, and really loves when I show him new things. Sometimes, when he's bored or fussy, we go outside and I have him look at bushes and trees and cars and he just stares at everything with huge eyes and he's totally silent. Usually after all that, he has to take a nap.
Being a parent is like getting to learn about the world all over again. When I was first starting to learn to be a teacher, someone explained to me that you don't really know what you know until you have to teach it. They were talking about grammar or science or whatever, but it turns out that's true about everything, from who I am ("Mama" or "Joseph"?) to "yes" and "no".
Cool.
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Danielle... being your baby's teacher is usually a role most enjoyed by their mothers... a life time marathon... Joseph is Blessed to be loved so and will benefit greatly from his parents and extended family... we enjoyed seeing his interaction with you... love you and the "little fella"... give JEF a kiss and hugs from us until we see him again!
Brilliant!
I watch this once a day.
Susan
Post a Comment